Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Message from John Fenty
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 43 Guests

Message from John Fenty

This thread currently has 72,315 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 Next All Recommend Thread
lawless29
November 11, 2011, 9:40am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +11
hilliarious

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 300 - 348
forza ivano
November 11, 2011, 9:44am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,139
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from lawless29
hilliarious

which 1 of the 300 posts you referring to?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 301 - 348
Ipswin
November 11, 2011, 12:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Quagmire

Fair play.

This isn't a dig at the Trust but I don't really see them having any real input into how the club is run.  I don't think they are looking for a place on the board and I don't think they have the required resources that the current board members look for in potential board appointments.

I think, and personally fear, that Fenty will be voted back in and he, Elsom, and Chapman will continue to run the club as they have over the past few years.
Unfortunately from an outsiders point of view it appears that the 'plan' is to simply plough as much additional funds as Fenty is comfortable covering into the playing budget and then hope and pray that the manager(s) and players pull something out of the bag - which, if we're doing well, covers some of, if not all of the deficit that is projected at the beginning of each season.
What I dislike the most about the whole "Fenty has ploughed his millions in" is that to a certain extent this deficit is engineered by the man himself, it's not some out of the blue bill.  It's not like the club is a car that goes in for a service and you're suddenly hit with a massive bill because the head gasket has gone, with Fenty riding in on his white horse and telling us not to worry about this unexpected bill because he will cover it!

Fenty and the board have a decent understanding of the kind of average revenue the club will bring in as well as the associated costs of non playing staff and ground upkeep etc.  The major variable is what they decide to allocate for the playing budget - and for far too long we've overextended ourselves massively.

How long do we continue this policy?  How long is Fenty able to fund this policy?

There are plenty of clubs at this level that have a far smaller playing budget than ourselves who continue to outperform us - how do they do this and why are we (as a club) simply not getting value for money from our players and management team?

There's only so many more years where Fenty will be able to fund this yearly gamble - the law of averages suggests it will come good at some point seeing as it's failed so badly over so many years so far - but will Fenty's pockets be empty before that day arrives?

Personally I think we need to start taking some medicine now, and start to cut our cloth accordingly, with a greater emphasis on bringing our youth players through and giving them the chance.  It might not be pretty but we have to start to move away from this reliance upon someone loaning the club vast amounts in order to keep operating.

People will moan about flooding the team with youngsters and that in order to get out of this league we need x, y, z etc.

Supposedly to get out of this league we needed young and hungry players - which we've supposedly got.
Supposedly to get out of this league we needed 'Conference' players - which we've got.
Supposedly to get out of this league we needed 'Conference' managers - which is what we've got.

Yet we're 4 points above the relegation spots!

So nobody truly knows what kind of team we need to put out in order to be successful at this level.

You've only got to look at the Football League to see how many smaller clubs than us are in there - what is it that they are doing / have done that we are not?

Belting post - absolutely spot on and the paragraph I have highlighted gets right to the heart of the problem - there is no plan if success is not forthcoming on the pitch

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 302 - 348
GrimRob
November 11, 2011, 1:13pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
I'd rather have that plan than trying to live within our means, and have a vastly inferior side on paper. We haven't had much success with it, but it's still far more likely than getting lucky with a bargain basement side. If Fenty (or anyone else) chooses to plough money into the club which is spent on having a competitive side and is not causing long term financial problems because all the funding is in the form of benign loans then I don't see a problem.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 303 - 348
lew chaterleys lover
November 11, 2011, 1:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from GrimRob
I'd rather have that plan than trying to live within our means, and have a vastly inferior side on paper. We haven't had much success with it, but it's still far more likely than getting lucky with a bargain basement side. If Fenty (or anyone else) chooses to plough money into the club which is spent on having a competitive side and is not causing long term financial problems because all the funding is in the form of benign loans then I don't see a problem.

I would agree with you if I had any faith at all in ENOUGH money being spent on obviously decent players.

I say decent because over the last few years this board has been awash with the names of exceptional players at this level who have moved to smaller clubs than us,for very reasonable fees.

True to form though,Mr Fenty has authorised spending on players that werent in that bracket and surprise surprise we get worse year on year.

Its not like a fish business - lowest cost per unit just wont work.

So either,he has a final hurrah and allows a side of sufficient quality to be signed,or we work without him and get together a young side that might grow into it.  
Private Message
Reply: 304 - 348
psgmariner
November 11, 2011, 2:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33

I would agree with you if I had any faith at all in ENOUGH money being spent on obviously decent players.

I say decent because over the last few years this board has been awash with the names of exceptional players at this level who have moved to smaller clubs than us,for very reasonable fees.

True to form though,Mr Fenty has authorised spending on players that werent in that bracket and surprise surprise we get worse year on year.

Its not like a fish business - lowest cost per unit just wont work.

So either,he has a final hurrah and allows a side of sufficient quality to be signed,or we work without him and get together a young side that might grow into it.  

Surely you are not saying Fenty is to blame for a succession of managers choosing to buy crap players?!

Private Message
Reply: 305 - 348
Ipswin
November 11, 2011, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

You don't see the problem? F*cking hell Rob it's glaringly obvious, it means that we are stuck with planless (clueless?) Fenty and his charity and benign loans forever FFS plus there is absolutely no guarantee we won't sink without trace league position-wise anyway even with him shoring us up financially - the last few years are evidence of that GTFC has sunk quicker than the Titanic..
We are a basement team like it or not, be willing to admit it. My concern is not a vastly inferior side 'on paper' its the vastly inferior side we seem to put on the pitch season in season out despite Fenty's financial input.
He might have kept the patient alive (just) but the operation was not and shows no sign of being a success
Also it strikes me that 'getting lucky' is the only way out anyway

Private Message
Reply: 306 - 348
Ipswin
November 11, 2011, 2:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

Surely you are not saying Fenty is to blame for a succession of managers choosing to buy crap players?!

He chose the managers who made the crap decisions to buy the crap players - go figure...

Private Message
Reply: 307 - 348
forza ivano
November 11, 2011, 2:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,139
Gold Stars: 265
well ipswin if your plan relies on getting lucky and quagmire believes that 'getting lucky' is the basis of Fenty's plan, then i know which 1 i'd prefer - the option with abit of cash behind it, which will mean it's got more chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 308 - 348
psgmariner
November 11, 2011, 2:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Ipswin

He chose the managers who made the crap decisions to buy the crap players - go figure...

He did but he did so with the agreement of the Board.

Also as others have mentioned at the time most people were happy with his appointments (except Woods who even I could tell would be a disaster).

We have had a decent budget almost every season under Fenty.

Private Message
Reply: 309 - 348
35 Pages Prev ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Message from John Fenty

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.