Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Message from John Fenty
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Message from John Fenty

This thread currently has 72,318 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 Next All Recommend Thread
Biccys
November 9, 2011, 10:11pm
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from cardiffmariner

Agree with absolutely every word of that.  Best post I've read on here in ages.  

Perhaps if 5 years or so ago we had started to 'cut our cloth accordingly' we wouldn't have the deficit we have now.  How much could have been saved from a drastically reduced wage bill and money saved from paying off managers and players due to repeated sackings and subsequent squad overhauls?

It could have been done, it could have significantly reduced the deficit and we might not even have found ourselves in the position we're in now.

You're right, but how many people would have been on here bleating "get your wallet out Fenty & buy some decent players..." Loads i suspect. I seem to recall that happening anyway in the dark times of Newells tenure here.... Fenty's between a rock and a hard place. Spend cash, end up here, don't spend cash, get vilified for not splashing the cash and probably end up here! He couldn't win either way! We're long overdue a successful season so let's keep everything crossed for a strong end to this one and press on next with a largely similar squad and managers.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 290 - 348
80sglory
November 9, 2011, 10:53pm
Guest User
If you're confident in what you're doing, you shouldn't even be listening to the fans IMO.

Same goes for the managers too.

There's a time to spend and "go for it" and a time to cut your cloth and rebuild.
A same-same "competitive budget" policy doesn't work IMO - you either really go for it or cut your cloth and live within your means.

As a strategy I guess we'll be doing the latter and I commend it, but ironically, I suspect it's only because we've no other choice.

We already know Fenty is a successful businessman, but if business knoweldge was all that was needed, it would have already worked.
I believe what you need is some footballing knowledge to get the right staff, to know when to buy and sell, when to take risks etc.
That's what worries me going forward.
I could drag up the past and say what I believe to be past mistakes but I'll just cross my fingers instead.

If we're ever gonna appoint a Chief Exec to run the club(as barralad touched upon happened at Lincoln), then for god sake please make sure he knows his football.
As daft as it sounds I would consider looking to the messageboards and appointing someone like Tommy who IMO knows his onions.
Reply: 291 - 348
My cats dreams
November 9, 2011, 11:17pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Are u tommy 80s

Dogs are smelly creatures full of there own importance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 292 - 348
80sglory
November 9, 2011, 11:39pm
Guest User
Erm, no.  

I couldn't be anyway, multiple accounts are banned under the fishy rules.  
Reply: 293 - 348
sonik
November 10, 2011, 12:06am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 1600
If you're confident in what you're doing, you shouldn't even be listening to the fans IMO.

There's a time to spend and "go for it" and a time to cut your cloth and rebuild.
A same-same "competitive budget" policy doesn't work IMO - you either really go for it or cut your cloth and live within your means.

As a strategy I guess we'll be doing the latter and I commend it, but ironically, I suspect it's only because we've no other choice.

We already know Fenty is a successful businessman, but if business knoweldge was all that was needed, it would have already worked.
I believe what you need is some footballing knowledge to get the right staff, to know when to buy and sell, when to take risks etc.
I could drag up the past and say what I believe to be past mistakes but I'll just cross my fingers instead.

If we're ever gonna appoint a Chief Exec to run the club(as barralad touched upon happened at Lincoln), then for god sake please make sure he knows his football.
As daft as it sounds I would consider looking to the messageboards and appointing someone like Tommy who IMO knows his onions.

Bullshit!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 294 - 348
TWAreaTownSupporter
November 10, 2011, 1:30am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Quoted from GrimRob
Here's an interesting story in the press today about someone being sued for libel because of comments they left on Amazon's UK site.

http://www.independent.co.uk/n.....-review-6259431.html

Rob, that's not a very kind comparison to make is it now?!  

"The case is being brought by Chris McGrath, an online entrepreneur from Milton Keynes who wrote and self-published a little known book entitled “The Attempted Murder of God: Hidden Science You Really Need to Know”. " Hmmmm. A creationist. Self-published. Your witness.

Oh and there's crucial little bit "He is acting as a litigant in person in a two day hearing which will decide whether there is a case to answer"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 295 - 348
barralad
November 10, 2011, 7:57am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from 1600

As I recall Lincoln's C.E. had only the remit to sort out their day to day running, maximising income streams and organising effective campaigns in the media etc. He did say that they were helped greatly in this by having the charismatic Keith Alexander in the football environment. My own view is that football and business rarely mix.

I'm afraid the idea of appointing someone who voices their opinion on a messageboard (regardless of how much empathy we might have with that opinion) isn't just daft it's suicidal

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 296 - 348
My cats dreams
November 10, 2011, 8:01am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Quoted from sonik

Bullshit!

Alec king i was only a kitten in them days but he seemed a nice chap

Dogs are smelly creatures full of there own importance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 297 - 348
80sglory
November 10, 2011, 10:52am
Guest User
Quoted from barralad

As I recall Lincoln's C.E. had only the remit to sort out their day to day running, maximising income streams and organising effective campaigns in the media etc. He did say that they were helped greatly in this by having the charismatic Keith Alexander in the football environment. My own view is that football and business rarely mix.

I'm afraid the idea of appointing someone who voices their opinion on a messageboard (regardless of how much empathy we might have with that opinion) isn't just daft it's suicidal

No worries, we've all got our own opinions.

Only trying to help because I want the club to be successful as we all do.

I'm gonna simpify things by supporting the team through the turntiles and on the pitch from now on - debating the football can be frustrating enough alone, and I'm trying to take that with a larger pinch of salt too.

In the cold light of day, football was meant to be enjoyable, and it's really not worth getting wound up about any of it.
Of course we do because we all love the club but it's not always the best thing.

Expect nothing and anything on top is a bonus is my new motto.  
Reply: 298 - 348
forza ivano
November 10, 2011, 11:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,138
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

Fenty would be happy with that, he will only have to put in £250,000 pa,

Thats a good saving from his point of view.

have i missed something pete? i was under the impression that nobody had any idea what fenty's financial plans were beyond the end of the season

incidentally, some interesting points on budget cutting - 3 things
1) the new2 were brought in with the proviso that they were going to have to deal with a reduced budget - wasn't it £250k pa less?
2) if fenty is happy to keep funding things then surely a) that is up to him and b) there's nowt we could do about it anyway
3) the trust, whether or not they want a place on the Board, are now a big player and will have to be consulted an any major developments.that in itself is an improvement on the 1 party state that existed previously
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 299 - 348
35 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Message from John Fenty

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.