Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 24 Guests

Message from John Fenty

This thread currently has 72,328 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
November 6, 2011, 12:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
I think we need clarification of what can and can't be said about Fenty.

I have looked up Libel in a dictionary and it is defined as follows:

anything that is defamatory or that maliciously or damagingly misrepresents.

Basically, a statement can only be libelous if it can be proved beyond doubt to be untrue in court.

With this in mind can I say without fear of writ that John Fenty has proven himself to be a vuseless Chairman of Grimsby Town FC and the blame for our dropping out of the league rests squarely at his feet. I can only guess that making money in the Fish processing industry is easy because his running of GTFC, the continuing huge financial losses and it's huge debt indicate he has very little business sense.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 160 - 348
Manchester Mariner
November 6, 2011, 12:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I think we need clarification of what can and can't be said about Fenty.

The libelous stuff is saying/suggesting/alluding that Fenty has been commiting some sort of con and plans to benefit from the clubs downfall as this isn't fact but people thinking they are some sort of Derren Brown figure who know what Fenty's thoughts and ambitions are and then relay them on here. As I see it the real problem most people have is mistaking Fenty being unsuccessful as the chairman of the football club with Fenty being some sort of liar so when he says that the loans he has put into the club are "benign" they read it as exactly the opposite with bells on.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 348
My cats dreams
November 6, 2011, 12:26pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Quoted from RoboCod

Not exactly 'regularly' though? I'll see you in court Felix !!

Im regular as clockwork in next doors garden

Dogs are smelly creatures full of there own importance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 348
paulfcb
November 6, 2011, 12:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Approval: -1
I think that this is all a bit embarrassing for Fenty.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 348
GollyGTFC
November 6, 2011, 1:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

The libelous stuff is saying/suggesting/alluding that Fenty has been commiting some sort of con and plans to benefit from the clubs downfall as this isn't fact but people thinking they are some sort of Derren Brown figure who know what Fenty's thoughts and ambitions are and then relay them on here. As I see it the real problem most people have is mistaking Fenty being unsuccessful as the chairman of the football club with Fenty being some sort of liar so when he says that the loans he has put into the club are "benign" they read it as exactly the opposite with bells on.

The problem is Fenty and certain people don't seem to understand what benign actually means. It means favourable, mild, gentle and/or non-threatening. Has Fenty's £2 million or so of loans in the club been any of that? Just because Fenty's says we wouldn't demand repayment in a way that would risk the existance of the club doesn't make his debt "benign".

Grimsby Town FC's huge "benign" debts and continuing losses have caused Barclay's to convert a £500,000 overdraft into a loan repayable over 5 years. A huge amount for a business which spent 113% of turnover last financial year on Staff costs alone and lost almost £1,000,000 in the process.

Fenty's past "benign" debts to Five Star Fish have meant that the club has had to contribute £537,500 to pension payments and still has to find another £112,500 when the club is in real terms insolvent. This has had a direct and negative impact on the clubs profit and loss accounts- which were bad enough as it was.

Potential investors look at Profit and Loss and debt when looking at a business. Do you think anyone with any sense would invest in our club at present?

Is this huge debt and it consequences on the business really "benign"?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 164 - 348
sonik
November 6, 2011, 1:03pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from GodHelpUs
I think some people are missing the point here (or, I suspect, choosing to miss the point).  Fenty was Chairman for around 8 yrs and had been on or around the board for a few years before that.  During that time he has been consistently criticised on this board but has never resorted to making this kind of statement.

The reason he has is because some people have quite clearly crossed the line - the originator of the thread about the value of BP (and a number of contributers) seemed to quite clearly question his motives and infer that JF intended to, at best, recoup his loans and, at worst, make a tidy personal profit in a move to a new stadium.  This was done with no more evidence than a newspaper report.

This board is the public domain in just the same way as the broadcast media and the law applies to you as much as anyone else!  Criticism is fine but libel is not.

Having said that, I really think Fenty needs either to employ someone or use someone he trusts to not only proof read everything he puts into the public domain but also to give an honest opinion of the content!  There is nothing to be ashamed about being dyslexic but it leaves you open to the ridicule I've read on this and Grim Outlook from some people who really should know better.

WHS.  

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 348
headingly_mariner
November 6, 2011, 1:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The problem is Fenty and certain people don't seem to understand what benign actually means. It means favourable, mild, gentle and/or non-threatening. Has Fenty's £2 million or so of loans in the club been any of that? Just because Fenty's says we wouldn't demand repayment in a way that would risk the existance of the club doesn't make his debt "benign".

Grimsby Town FC's huge "benign" debts and continuing losses have caused Barclay's to convert a £500,000 overdraft into a loan repayable over 5 years. A huge amount for a business which spent 113% of turnover last financial year on Staff costs alone and lost almost £1,000,000 in the process.

Fenty's past "benign" debts to Five Star Fish have meant that the club has had to contribute £537,500 to pension payments and still has to find another £112,500 when the club is in real terms insolvent. This has had a direct and negative impact on the clubs profit and loss accounts- which were bad enough as it was.

Potential investors look at Profit and Loss and debt when looking at a business. Do you think anyone with any sense would invest in our club at present?

Is this huge debt and it consequences on the business really "benign"?

When any loans are secured on the ground then as a football fan you have to be worried.
Scrap the loans and free the club!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 348
lew chaterleys lover
November 6, 2011, 1:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from sonik

WHS.  

Do you Fentys really sit of an evening wondering what Town fans have the temerity to question John Fentys motives?

Shouldnt he be putting all his energies into writing an apology to us fans,the true heart of GTFC, for the almighty member ups that have led us to this position?

When he has done that perhaps he would be kind enough to let us know how he intends to make a positive difference to our fortunes.

If he wont / cant then perhaps it would be better if we take our chances without him - it might galvanise the club to find some pride and fighting spirit again.
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 348
Cod Almighty T shirt man
November 6, 2011, 2:31pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / -1
This was the post I made on the thread that John Fenty objected to.

It is not libelous (a kind solicitor who is a Town fan has backed up my opinion in an unsolicited email to me).

**** Mod - REMOVED (sorry the word of your "friend" is not good enough ****
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 348
80sglory
November 6, 2011, 3:05pm
Guest User
Quoted from GodHelpUs
I think some people are missing the point here (or, I suspect, choosing to miss the point).

If you're referring to me, I haven't missed the point at all.

Fenty and libel is one thing but I'm talking about posters like you who seemingly show very little interest(if any) in the football and seem to spend all their time trying to take the moral highground lecturing others about what they should be saying, what they should be thinking etc etc (IMO)

Quoted from GodHelpUs
some people who really should know better.

I rest my case !  
Reply: 169 - 348
35 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.