Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Message from John Fenty
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 6 Guests

Message from John Fenty

This thread currently has 72,535 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
November 6, 2011, 8:32am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from mariner2000
so rob please clarify how twit of the week won't be banned then!!

The statement that an individual is a twit surely gives a negative image!!!

TOTW is fine because it's an opinion not factual

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 150 - 348
GrimRob
November 6, 2011, 8:38am

Quoted from mariner91

So basically you can put whatever you like and then add in my opinion at the end to make it fine?

Not if it's an implied fact, e.g. John Fenty bought a round in the pub last night, in my opinion.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 151 - 348
mariner2000
November 6, 2011, 9:00am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from GrimRob

your gonna have fun with that one I'm sure!  Hope you have added a full time solicitor as a moderator!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 152 - 348
cardiffmariner
November 6, 2011, 9:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,309
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from Henryscat
I think a lot of people have jumped to conclusions here. I've no doubt I'll get shouted down but I am typing this from neither a pro nor an anti fenty viewpoint. I just think people need to be more objective and look at these few points.

Firstly, the original email was from John to Rob, it was not an open letter to users of the fishy. The fact that Rob chose to copy and paste the email rather than summarise it in a post was Rob's decision and isn't fenty "throwing his toys out" as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Secondly, I think a lot of you have confused criticism (and even abuse) with liable/slander. John has admitted that things haven't been rosy (a large understatement IMO) and doesn't object to this. He objects to scurrilous rumours and untruths that have been posted. For instance it would be quite acceptable to say "fenty is a rich man with a pretty daughter who's tenure as chairman coincided with the club's demise to non-league football" all of these can be backed up with evidence. You can't however say something like (and I hasten to add I'm using this as an example) "John is the franchisee of the McDonalds outside BP and thus keeps the catering inside BP low-rate" this cannot be backed up by any form of evidence.

Lastly, the mods have been asked to remove libelous messages, this does not get rid of our freedom of speech but merely keeps Rob from being sued and this forum and website being shut down.

Sorry to rant on but I think a lot of you need to look at things objectively before spouting off.

"I am happy for you to post this email"

Not the words of someone sending a private email.  Fenty knew exactly what would happen to his email.

As I said above, it is a very small number of posters who have got anywhere near being libellous and they could have been individually warned by the mods, who could also have reset the perameters of what is and is not acceptable use of language through a statement of their own.  All of which would have avoided this rather unnecessary public threat of legal action etc.

I assume when you say people are 'spouting off' you mean 'presenting a view I don't agree with'.  Is this view any less objective than yours? I am happy to proclaim myself as anti-Fenty but would like to think that I can also comment on indiviual events, such as this, with a degree of rational thought.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 348
Theimperialcoroner
November 6, 2011, 9:27am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,135
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from GrimRob

Surely Martin Butler is a complete and utter twit, something for which there is plenty of evidence. When does opinion become fact?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 348
My cats dreams
November 6, 2011, 9:33am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
During the last few seasons we have been total crap and lost our league status and now lose regulary to teams who get 300 or less home gate is that fact or opinion,im off to curl up now on the sofa

Dogs are smelly creatures full of there own importance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 348
GrimRob
November 6, 2011, 9:38am

Quoted from My cats dreams
During the last few seasons we have been total crap and lost our league status and now lose regulary to teams who get 300 or less home gate is that fact or opinion,im off to curl up now on the sofa

It's a fact and it's actually wrong. When did we last lose to a team who gets less than 300 home gate?

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 156 - 348
My cats dreams
November 6, 2011, 9:41am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Quoted from GrimRob

It's a fact and it's actually wrong. When did we last lose to a team who gets less than 300 home gate?

Will the fishy being taking proceedings against me? I own a collar and a bowl and braintree that hotbed of football

Dogs are smelly creatures full of there own importance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 348
Henryscat
November 6, 2011, 10:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from cardiffmariner

"I am happy for you to post this email"

Not the words of someone sending a private email.  Fenty knew exactly what would happen to his email.

As I said above, it is a very small number of posters who have got anywhere near being libellous and they could have been individually warned by the mods, who could also have reset the perameters of what is and is not acceptable use of language through a statement of their own.  All of which would have avoided this rather unnecessary public threat of legal action etc.

I assume when you say people are 'spouting off' you mean 'presenting a view I don't agree with'.  Is this view any less objective than yours? I am happy to proclaim myself as anti-Fenty but would like to think that I can also comment on indiviual events, such as this, with a degree of rational thought.

By spouting off I mean opening their mouths (or in this case keyboard) without thinking about what they're saying/typing - as you put it rational thought.

I said at the start of my post that I knew I'd get shot down for saying it, I said that because as humans our opinions differ on a vast number of subjects, I am fortunate to have a modicum of intelligence so appreciate other's views whether I agree with them or not. I don't however feel it is right to slander people - reading your previous posts you seem like you're in the same boat as me, not necessarily from our viewpoints regarding the club but certainly in being able to listen to other's opinions without resorting to petty name calling.

Hope this clears this up for you

Rob

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 348
RoboCod
November 6, 2011, 10:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from My cats dreams

Will the fishy being taking proceedings against me? I own a collar and a bowl and braintree that hotbed of football

Not exactly 'regularly' though? I'll see you in court Felix !!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 348
35 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Message from John Fenty

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.