14 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 17, 2011, 5:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
The problem is that we don't seem to be grinding out the results when playing below par. To be a promotion contender, you need to win most of the games where you play well and draw (or fluke victories!) in games where you don't play well.

We still have the problem that our strikers just aren't scoring enough. It sounds as though their keeper made a few decent saves today but we need our strikers to make sure the opposition keeper doesn't have the chance to make these saves.

The big disappointment is that we don't appear to be much of a threat from set-pieces. With Pearson, Kempson and Duffy all decent in the air, our lack of a return from many corners and free-kicks this season is very poor - unfortunately, we still don't appear to have anybody who is capable of delivering a good set-piece.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 136
bradzmilne
September 17, 2011, 5:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from we will return

Theres 3 wins on the bounce there. Cant possibly happen :L

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 136
brad_gtfc
September 17, 2011, 5:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
I was hoping Artus would be decent from set pieces.

Mid table for us this year, I've excepted it already.

Then we build again in the summer. Ino we've heard it before, but give these 2 time and think we may be alright.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 136
RoboCod
September 17, 2011, 5:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from 1600

You make it sound like we took the game to them ?!  

What do you mean - sit back and let them have possession ?
I thought we did - at least JT said we weren't pressing them enough in midifeld ?

Go through the motions attitudes or playing for a point won't gain promotion - it's never worked and it never will !

The cold hard fact is other teams are capable of going away and scoring more than 1 goal but we rarely can.  

No, we gave the game to them. A ground out point away at a promotion contender won't lead to promotion ?? Yes, another decent display blah blah but we never sounded threatening, sounded quite listless once more and nobody in the team tried to inject any urgency. We were beaten as soon as the 1st goal went in, still no urgency after either of the goals and even a triple sub did nothing to gee them up.
It's like we've gone back a year, even two, and have a team still ambling along while the top 10 of the division are already taking shape and showing their intent.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 136
upthestripes
September 17, 2011, 5:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.40
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from bradzmilne

i no what your saying UTS but how many years can the club keep doing this, people said that when we went to league 2. We stayed in there year after year then got relegated, where screwed if we do that in the BSP. Money doesnt grow on trees for Mr.Fenty ethier so he cant keep giving us a high playing budget and if rob doesnt think 'we have no facking money' wait till next year, there will be less and less

Likewise I see your point, but the problem has been that every year we have a new manager and team and you just cannot keep starting from scratch like this and hoping each time round to get lucky.
We finished 18th with Slade in his first year, but stuck with him and allowed him to build on what he'd put together before and look what happened.
I think this time we really, really need some patience as fans. We need to accept that putting together a winning side at the first attempt is not an easy thing to do, but building a winning side out of an existing half-decent one is not nearly so tough.
Yes I know it hurts to lose and I know we're all craving some kind of success after such a dismal time in recent years, but I think what we have to do now is hold on to our horses, accept that this might not/probably won't be our year and just sit tight for 2012/13.
I don't think we have much choice anyway, because another clearout would be disasterous imo and would only serve to keep the whole miserable circle going. It's not an easy thing to have this patience and endure another sh1te season, but you know they say all good things come to those who wait. If S&H were crap managers then I think it'd be despair all round, but they're not crap and we have to give them the chance to build for our future imo and show that they are good enough to end this flipping nightmare.
Ask me again in a year if we are still in this position, however, and I would probably agree with  you.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 136
hook line and sinker
September 17, 2011, 6:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
cant understand why we didn't make a change at half time whilst still in the game?,no doubt if town would of scored it would of changed the game in our favour. But we didn't, sounded we tried to leave it too long to make a change went 2 down then committed to all 3 subs by this time the game was over.also losing confidence in our frontline hearn all effort no end product would maybe be more effective in a better side? as for the other 3 I believe they don't no whether the are coming or going as the front pairing is chopped and changed on a regular basis.we could do with elding, spencer and duffy all to leave the club and bring in another forward to reguarly to play up top with hearn too many strikers at a club does no good whatsoever in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 136
bradzmilne
September 17, 2011, 7:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from upthestripes

Likewise I see your point, but the problem has been that every year we have a new manager and team and you just cannot keep starting from scratch like this and hoping each time round to get lucky.
We finished 18th with Slade in his first year, but stuck with him and allowed him to build on what he'd put together before and look what happened.
I think this time we really, really need some patience as fans. We need to accept that putting together a winning side at the first attempt is not an easy thing to do, but building a winning side out of an existing half-decent one is not nearly so tough.
Yes I know it hurts to lose and I know we're all craving some kind of success after such a dismal time in recent years, but I think what we have to do now is hold on to our horses, accept that this might not/probably won't be our year and just sit tight for 2012/13.
I don't think we have much choice anyway, because another clearout would be disasterous imo and would only serve to keep the whole miserable circle going. It's not an easy thing to have this patience and endure another sh1te season, but you know they say all good things come to those who wait. If S&H were crap managers then I think it'd be despair all round, but they're not crap and we have to give them the chance to build for our future imo and show that they are good enough to end this flipping nightmare.
Ask me again in a year if we are still in this position, however, and I would probably agree with  you.

Superv post, cant reply to that.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 136
14 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stockport Match Fred

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.